The Ellen Browning Scripps Philanthropy event is an opportunity for alums to honor Ellen Browning Scripps and her legacy of giving, all while connecting to each other and having fun. Every year alums across the country organize small groups to come together in the fall and give back in ways such as:
- Helping at a food bank
- Volunteering at a local animal shelter
- Participating in a charity 5K
- Cleaning up a community park
The options are endless, and if you have a particular charity you are passionate about, feel free to encourage others to join you in supporting it.
HOW DO I HOST AN EVENT?
At the beginning of September, select an activity for your event and email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Proposed event details: Date, Time, Place, Activity
- The link to the Facebook Event or Eventbrite Sign-Up
- Any requests for assistance in selecting a charity, setting up a sign-up page, finding a speaker, or hosting the event
Scripps will market your event through email and the Scripps LA Facebook group. After the event is hosted, please send all photos taken to email@example.com so we can include them on the News page and on Scripps College social media.
TIPS FOR HOSTING A SUCCESSFUL EVENT
- Message the alums you know in the area, it’s a great chance for you to meet up if it’s been a while!
- Choose an event that allows a variable number of people, you never know who will be a last-minute sign-up or will need to drop out due to an emergency.
- On that note, follow-up with attendees a week before the event to make sure they will still be attending. Sometimes people just need a little reminder.
- This event is going to be fun, so don’t worry if it doesn’t go perfectly. Remember that you are bringing people together to give back and do good, and every little bit helps.
- Fun Fact: October 18th is Ellen Browning Scripps’ birthday, so consider bringing cake or decorations to make the event into a celebration of giving.
- Packed Lunches for the Downtown Women’s Center
- Socializing Dogs at the spcaLA P.D. Pitchford Companion Animal Village
Los Angeles County
- Downtown Women’s Center
- Ronald McDonald House
- Union Station – Homeless Shelter
- Pasadena Humane Society
- Long Beach Pet Shelter
- Westside Food Bank
- Heal The Bay
San Bernardino County